Lighting is an important part of interior design. It has the power to influence a person’s mood, make a space appear larger and create the preferred ambience. Getting the lighting part right in any space makes a huge positive difference to the aesthetics. However, there are several intricacies that go into lighting.
Lately interior designers are increasingly recommending incorporating layered lighting. The three types of lighting include ambient, task and accent. Every room needs a mix of these lighting types for perfect illumination. Layered lighting makes a room more visually pleasing and adds to the overall depth. Each of the lighting types serves different purposes.
This is the foundation layer of lighting, which makes sure there is ample illumination in the room and prevents one from accidently tipping over stuff lying on the floor. It helps you traverse safely from point A to point B in a room and helps in establishing the ambience of any room. Chandeliers are the top choice for general light due to the burst of illumination they provide. They simply transform the looks of the place and add to the class.
If you are looking for high-quality chandeliers check out https://www.sofary.com. Sofary is the top chandelier company, offering an extensive unique collection at affordable rates. Also visit their blog for complete guide on different types of crystal chandeliers available for beautifying your luxury homes and offices.
Keep in mind that:
- It is totally okay to use lights with light lumens if you prefer to keep it that way. Multiply the room’s width and height by 20 to find the lumen value required
- When opting for recessed lighting, place one light every 4 square feet.
This second layer of lighting aids in performing specific tasks. It also goes by the name, ‘office lighting’ and provides more illumination when we are indulging in activities that require extra lighting – like cooking, reading, writing, sewing etc. It works better when used as a contrasting light and helps us to focus more on our task. When planning task lighting:
- Focus on the brightness directed towards the task area. To find the ample brightness required multiply the square footage of task area by 50 to calculate minimum lumens required.
- Opt for fixtures with dimmer feature and movable arms so that you can customize the light depending on the task.
This concentrated layer of light directs focus towards a particular focal point like decorative items, artwork, book case or seating area. They can be functional or used solely for decorative purposes. They add extra oomph factor to the object of interest. Outdoor accent lighting involves highlighting the yard. When planning accent lighting:
- Highlight areas/ objects you love. Use overhead spotlights and picture lights to drive extra attention towards artwork and architecture.
- You can incorporate decorative pendants, table or floor lamps to illuminate dark corners
- There is no one right way to accent lighting. Use your creativity to decorate your space as per your taste.
There are several versatile lighting options available to layer lighting. Purchase high-quality lighting fixtures and illuminate your space effectively.